What the hell?

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

All kinds of excitement


For reasons I can't fully explain, I decided that it would be a good idea for me to get a part-time job. Basically, I was walking through the mall doing some shopping, and I saw all these stores advertising for "seasonal" employees. "Hey, I could do that," I thought. "The extra money would be nice, the employee discount even better, and if I don't like it, that's OK. It'll all be over in January."

Not surprisingly, it wasn't that difficult to get hired. I filled out an online application for Younkers, and they called me less than 12 hours later for an interview. Apparently, I nailed the interview – shocking, I know – because I start tomorrow. 

Why Younkers? I thought their application was the easiest, it could be done entirely online, and their employee discount seemed pretty generous – 20 percent. And, I have an inside connection to Younkers. My future brother-in-law (seen in picture) works at the company's corporate office in Milwaukee.

That's right, I'm going to have a brother-in-law!! My sister got engaged last weekend, so it will be the first wedding in the family and everyone is super excited. I always wanted a brother, and now I'll finally have one :)


4 Comments:

  • At 1:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Oh my gosh!!!!!!! Is that Megan? I bet your parents are so excited :)

     
  • At 5:12 PM, Blogger MaggieCat said…

    Yay for Megan! I worked at Younkers in HS and during the summer after our first year of college. It was pretty nice. Great discount - I did buy too many clohes though...oh well.

    Do you know what department you'll be in? I was trained in lingerie, but worked in every department except for shoes. The kid's department was nice because no one ever came through and I got to look at all the adorable clothes and watch Disney movies all day.

    I liked working there because I didn't have to deal with a lot of really annoying people taking about their trashy, fucked up lives. At least then, Younkers liked to keep it's image as the snobby, snooty store so we all were "ladies" and "gentlemen."

    Oh, one word of warning. They do like to keep people late to clean up, which sucks when the store doesn't close until 11 p.m. But you probably won't be working those hours anyway will you? So, nevermind :-)

     
  • At 9:39 AM, Blogger Melissa said…

    Haha, I remembered that you used to work there :)

    I'm going to be in the home department, working with the sheets and towels. Yippeee.

    Yeah, my whole goal in getting a seasonal job was to avoid the Wal-Mart type crowds, so that left two options: Younkers and Macys. I shop at Younkers more, so it won out. Hope it doesn't suck too bad.

    Oh, I'm going to be in Des Moines Oct. 24-27 (I'm going to a Drake journalism reunion) so we should try to get together if you're around :)

     
  • At 6:03 PM, Blogger MaggieCat said…

    Dang it! That's when we're going to be in SF! We promised Gene's parents we'd come visit that weekend.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home